The Waratahs can breathe a sigh of relief after scans cleared five-eighth Bernard Foley of any abnormalities relating to the serious concussion that ruled him out of football indefinitely.
Foley suffered a head knock in the Waratahs trial against the Highlanders before the season and has missed the opening two rounds of Super Rugby. The 27-year-old was sent home from South Africa to see a neurologist, with coach Daryl Gibson having said his star playmaker could be out for up to year in the worst-case scenario.
It is understood Foley was a 50-50 chance to play on the weekend against the Sharks but the Waratahs decided to send him home to rest with player management in mind, given he has potentially 30 games ahead of him this year for NSW and Australia.
However, assistant coach Nathan Grey confirmed on Thursday Foley would be back on the footy field sooner than later after scans showed there was no season-threatening problem. “Everything seems to be OK. It’s just a matter of him resting and getting his head right around comfort levels and headaches,” Grey said. “When he’s right to go he’ll be right to go. It’s a bit of an open book.”
Meanwhile, the Waratahs are adamant there will not be a repeat of their poor defensive effort against the Lions when they take on the Sharks this weekend in Durban. The 55 points NSW conceded against last year’s Super Rugby finalists was the fourth most in the club’s history. “I don’t think a few of us showed up to the game on the defensive side,” said NSW back-rower Jack Dempsey. “Everyone was pretty down after the game. The mood has picked up and everyone is raring to go.”
On what will be the final game of their South African tour, the Waratahs are aiming to make amends and avoid recording back-to back losses for the first time in four years in Africa. NSW assistant coach Nathan Grey said his men would be better prepared than they were in Johannesburg.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.