Second Brisbane case of measles in two days sparks warning

A Brisbane man with the measles – the second confirmed case of the disease in the city in two days – was infectious as he visited several locations including the Brisbane Airport, health officials warned on Thursday.

A Metro North Public Health Unit spokesperson said the Chermside man was believed to have moved extensively through Brisbane, as well as been on international and domestic flights while unknowingly infectious.

The man, in his 40s, is also the second person to have passed through Sydney in March while infected with measles.

He was in these locations between March 1 and March 6: Brisbane International Airport on March 1 and Brisbane domestic airport on March 3Virgin Flight VA43 from Brisbane to Denpasar, which departed Brisbane about 3.40pm and arrived about 8.30pm local time on March 1Virgin Flight VA70 from Denpasar to Sydney, which departed about 10.30pm local time on March 1 and arrived about 7.30am local time on March 3 Sydney International Airport and Sydney Domestic Airport on March 3Virgin Flight VA932 Sydney to Brisbane, departing 9am local time and arriving 9.30am local time on March 3Tempest Seafood Restaurant at Scarborough Boat Harbour on March 3North Brisbane Landscape and Garden Centre, Zillmere, on March 5Junction Road Family Practice in Clayfield on March 6 between 10am and 10.45amAnd Accident and Emergency at Holy Spirit Northside Private Hospital, Chermside between 11am and 3.30pm on March 6.

Public Health physician Dr Mekala Srirajalingam said anyone who may have been at these locations about the same time and also developed measles-like symptoms in the next three weeks should stay home, and call their doctor for advice.

Dr Srirajalingam said it was important for anyone who needed to seek treatment for suspected measles to call the medical practice first and let them know so staff could ensure the infection was not spread.

“Measles is one of the most infectious of all communicable diseases and is spread by tiny droplets through coughing and sneezing,” Dr Srirajalingam said.

“Symptoms usually start around 10 days after contact, but can occur between seven and 18 days after contact with an infectious person.”

Initial symptoms include fever, runny nose, red eyes, a moist cough and lethargy, followed a few days later by a red blotchy rash that usually starts on the face before spreading to the rest of the body.

Dr Srirajalingam said Metro North was also working with the different places the man had visited while infectious.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训.